Sunday, March 18, 2007

2 down..

Two days down and about a million to go, but we can actually stand inside with the windows closed and not tear up from the stench.

Dan has a friend on a Fine Homebuilding list that gave us a recipe for a homemade cleaning solution to cut through the filth. It was 3 parts water, 1 part bleach, 1/2 part vinegar and a splash of dishsoap (we used pine sol in place of the dishsoap). Let me tell you, this stuff works! Spritz it on and let it sit for a minute, then go at it with a scrubber brush and 95% of the crud comes up. That last 5%'ll get you though, because once it looks that much better you just want the last little bit to come up.

We had all the windows and doors open and still had to run outside periodically to breath. We need beefier respirators and better eye protection before we go back to do the ceilings and walls. But I can open and close the windows in 2 rooms without gloves on! And we can see through the windows even when they're closed (the windows were much cleaner outside than in.)

Brian came back today and weedwhacked the whole backyard. It's much bigger and flatter than it seemed at first. It still slopes a bit towards the house, but not as badly as I thought.

I took a bunch of before pictures, but we were so tired by the end of the day that I forgot about the after shots. So I'll leave you with an image of what I found in the upstairs bathroom this morning. If you're even slighty squeamish, you're not going to want to zoom in on this. I screamed like a girl.. then, of course, went back and took a picture.
Like I said.. 2 down..

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been following your progress on Breaktime and you two are gutsy! Good luck, looks like you have some great friends! And I saw your wedding pics, looked like a blast!

MarkH

Anonymous said...

Are friends that help you clean a mess like this the same ones that would help you hide criminal activity? Not sure if you could pay me enough to clean that toilet but somebody was right there in it do hand2hand combat against it! Something about a 10ft stick comes to mind.

Never thought I'd get reviews like this for for a clenaing concoction but I must admit that it's not my recipe that I posted @ BT. I got it from a friend of mine that worked riverboats/barges on the MS river. Glad it worked and I'll have to try the pine sol sometime. I'm glad it worked for you.

John7G

Amy from old house lovers said...

I would have screamed too when I saw the dead rats in the toilet. It's just so unexpected.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, yuk! Dead rats and rotting food and the *filth*. I could almost smel it from the photos. If I had seen dead rats in a toilet I would have screamed, too.

And a human being lived like this? Beyond belief.

Under all that awfulness is a nice house. Bay window in the kitchen? Wow!

--Kathryn

Lesli said...

Did you have to add that last sentence about being squeamish? Did you have to mention zooming in on the picutre? All I did was SQUINT and I saw that rat turd! Ewww EW EW ewW --and I was so much happier thinking it was just an innocent big piece of poo.
Can we name him Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo Rat?

Anonymous said...

Ewwww gross. Like Lesli said, I thought it was gross enough as just an ordinary piece o' s--t. THEN to zoom in and see it's TWO pieces o' s--t and it's actually not even s--t but r-ts!

Mark said...

It must have been very tempting to try to flush them.

Tish said...

At least you weren't sitting down to use the toilet when you saw the rats. That happened to me once. Sat down and as I was going, the rat came up and I heard it splishing so I jumped up and there it was. I took off running and he went back where he came from. Maybe call vector control to be on the safe side and they'll bait the sewers.

irene said...

thanks tish, now I don't know know HOW I'm going to get that picture out of my head, ever!

And to the earlier anonymous poster, it has been said "friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies"
and it's been established that our friends are the best! ;)