Monday, July 23, 2007

written from under a warm pile of clean laundry..

This weekend was spent getting through my "honey-do" list while Dan agonized over the house plans to submit everything we need to get our foundation permits.

First up was hooking up the washer and dryer!

The utility sink that was already in our kitchen has made things so much easier for us. Both the hot and cold water lines were already split with separate shut-offs! All I had to do was hook up the supply lines.. which leaked like sieves when I turned on the water approximately 5 minutes after the hardware store closed. One leaky line, maybe.. but 2 would be just my luck. Dan suggested putting a couple rubber washers in each so I could tighten them down more and that worked like a charm. Viola! no leaks!


Only thing left was leveling it and plugging it in.. take a look at how level that is, baby!










Moving along to the dryer..

Aside from the handy utility sink, the other reason we decided a temporary washer/dryer setup was worth the effort is that there was a gas stubout on the floor right next to the sink!
After tracing the line back to confirm it was actually connected, I shutoff the gas, locked the cats in the bathroom, and set to work figuring out what size adaptor I was going to need to get from the hardware store. Our sizable collection of random gas fittings came in super-handy, because we actually had one that fit both the stubout on the floor and the line on the dryer! I still went to pickup a shutoff valve, as the one we had was too small. (Have I mentioned today how awesome it is to have the best hardware store in the area 2 blocks away?!)

Here's the final setup:

After turning the gas back on I checked for leaks. For gas (or compressed air) lines, it's really simple to check for leaks: just brush a little soapy water over each of the connection points. If it bubbles up you've got a leak. No bubbles, no leaks.












I'll spare you pictures of the weeding and random other chores, but when a bird flew in the window while I was outside, making screens officially bumped up to the top of the list.

(The little bird buzzed Dan then flew up the empty chimney shaft to the top floor where the cats were trying desperately to get when I came in. It was knocking itself up against a closed window up there, but flew right out when I opened it. poor little guy)

I left the corner of the screen I made for the (above mentioned) kitchen window unfinished. This way I was able to run the dryer exhaust right out, and the screen holds it in place, and when the laundry moves downstairs after the foundation is done I can just finish up the corner without much effort.


Dan went into the planning office today with a pile of printouts to get some questions answered. Aside from a couple small tweaks, and wanting us to add in the neighbors houses onto our plans (requiring measuring of at least 3 backyards!) the plans are just about ready to submit!

My pile of warm clothes has cooled of.. time to put another load in :)

4 comments:

Ayse said...

A quickie tip for the neighboring house measurements: use Google Earth and scale the photo up to fit your house, then trace the neighbors' houses. A lot faster than measuring and as accurate as the city requires.

Nice plumbing work, by the way. Clean clothes are a very good thing.

irene said...

You know, we tried that for one of the views we needed to submit awhile ago, but couldn't get anything to print big enough to be useful. Any tips on that? Glad you brought it up though, it was helpful to use onscreen.

I was thinking about you while I was searching high and low for the $@#~@ screen tool that I specifically remember seeing while packing! I'd already been to Pagano's and Home Depot that day tho, so I wound up using a cheese spreader knife.. bad, bad idea.

Ayse said...

I've used this in two different ways: first is to scale the aerial photo up to a larger size with Photoshop to reduce heavy pixelation. Then I can bring it into AutoCAD, scale it up to full size, and trace it.

The other is to do the tracing at a small size in AutoCAD, then scale the lines up to full size independently -- this is easier if you have an idea what scale the original photo is at (Google Earth puts this on the image, thank goodness).

I don't know which CAD you're using (and some of them are kinda funky), but the key is to scale the neighborhood image up to match the scale of your own site drawing.

Once you have been searching Pagano's for long enough, you will discover that there is more to discover: little secret rooms you didn't know about, tiny hidden sets of shelves that somehow fold out of the wall and become little nooks you could swear were not there for the last five years. It's got its own laws of physics.

The MadScientist said...

Hi Ayse,
I use Floor Plan 3d to do the plans and then import them into Turbo Cad Pro to do the actual dimensioned drawings and renders. It was a bit wonky at first till I figured out all the correct settings to get the plans to print to a correct scale.
I just used zillow's pics to get the relative sizes and places of the neighbors houses-they seemed happy with it.