Sunday, November 18, 2007

Another Crazy Kitchen Idea

I want a bigger kitchen!!

Well, not a humongous ridiculous palace type thing but it would be nice to have just a little more space for the dining table than we have now...

Here's the crazy idea I came up with today. What if we do a little bump-out in the kitchen as a dining nook? Then the table is out of the way and we have some elbow room in there. I think its a great idea but who knows if I can swing it by the Alameda planning dept...The nook would have a dropped ceiling of 8' compared to the kitchens 10' ceilings. I would be reusing the original windows in basically their original spots just pushed out 4'. I also don't lose any cabinet space over the original plan.

Here's an idea of what the nook would look like from the inside. This 'shot' was taken from the doorway from the kitchen. I like the way the cabinets flank the opening making the nook seem deeper than it is.


Here's a straight on shot of the nook. In this version its 4' deep. That's 1' deeper than the existing bump out in the family room. I don't have much hope that they will agree to that but maybe they'll offer 3' as a compromise?


Here's a bad rendering of how it might look from the outside. I like the added windows in the short sides also. Should make for a lot of light in the kitchen.
Can't figure out how to do the seperate roof over the bump out stupid 30 buck program!

Does it look too weird being a rectangular bump out next to an angled wall bump out? I can't figure out how to do a roof over the bump out but the idea is that it would be a low slope roof with a bit of a swoop to it to match the roofs on the existing dormers.
Here's what the outside of the house looks like now. We should be okay on setback because we have 9' on this side with a 5' setback so if I went out 4' I would be just at the setback.



One thing that worries me is the door and windows right underneath the proposed bump out area. They really didn't do headers back then.


This is a shot of the framing and header in the bump out area. The joists are full 2by 10's with a 10' span and they sit fully on the 4by6 top plate-thats a lot of bearing. I'm hoping that I can just bolt-glue some new 2by10s to these existing to do the 4' cantelever... I'm told that's a huge amount of over hang but I was planning on having an engineer do the actual calcs anyways. Maybe I can get away with a 3' cantelever if I use lvl's or something....
Here's the short engineering plan. Since we are doing a dropped ceiling in the nook we can use a beam and posts to span the opening with the load carried right thru to the foundation. Then sister on 2by10 somethings to get the required stiffness at 4' cantelever. This idea is kinda cool cause Irene and I can do everything ourselves, sistering the joists, building the walls, installing the windows, building the mini-roof. See this plan does not entail messing with the foundation or the existing roof!
Check out this cool hawk that was sitting on top of the telephone pole out front!!! I think it must of figured out that my neighbor has about 10 billion little tiny tasty birdies in their backyard (they have a ton of feeders and go thru like 10 pounds of feed a month)


Maybe for shits and giggles I'll run this plan by the planning-zoning desk next week just to see what kind of reaction I get.

8 comments:

tina said...

I like the way the kitchen would look on the inside, but from the outside it may compromise the integrity of the original design. However, if the bump continued down to the ground, and the roof was also adjusted, perhaps it could work. I think it might cost a lot more though.

Brother_Joel said...

One option you might think about to relieve the cantilever is to put 45 degree braces on the side running down the wall. I don't know if I would like how that would look from the outside, but it's a thought.

The MadScientist said...

tina,
Yea your method is one idea we've talked about. It would be considerably more expensive because rejiggering the roof and adding a new foundation is probably outside our skill set and that means we'd have to hire someone to do it for us....which means lots of extra money.

The MadScientist said...

brother_joel,
What did you go all the way catholic on us now?? A decorative (structural) bracket on either side of the bump out is another idea. Don't know how to frame the floor so that its load could be carried by the outside joists which are connected to the brackets. This would also require posts in the wall for the brackets to be connected to. If this idea goes far enough I'll have to get an actual SE to do some figuring on it.

brother_joel said...

The floor would not be framed to carry the load to the outer joists. The floor would be framed as it normally would, supported on the inner side by the wall, and on the outer side by a header board. That header board takes the load to the outer joists. The outer joists are then suppored by the brackets.

Billy Splatts! said...

Hi!

I love what you're doing with the house!

Have you considered listing it in the Home Name Registry? I think your home is perfect for it.

The website is www.homenameregistry.com

Billy!

Kevy said...

WOW, you guys are gluttons for punishment. ;)

What, dealing with the city over the back deck wasn't enough?! Just make sure you're far enough away from the property line, haha!

I think it's a fantastic though. A perfect dining area!

The MadScientist said...

Hey Kevy,
Irene says you just earned yourself several home cooked meals in our new kitchen....

On another note, Can't decide if this billy splats post is spam or not?