Sunday, January 27, 2008

No more leaks!

Hurray! the pressure has been sitting right at 80psi for more than 24 hours, with no sign of any more leaks! We were both pretty nervous because we'd checked every one of the connections already, and it was looking like the leak was somewhere in the tubing. Plus, we were repeatedly warned that overtightening the connections at the manifold is a sure way to cause leaks, and there weren't many threads left to tighten things down before reaching that point.



<-- This photo illustrates the problem very nicely, doesn't it?!



That gauge was screwed in pretty tight, but apparently not tight enough.. With both of us cranking on it (Dan holding the wrench, and me holding the manifold to not tweak it right off the wall), we managed to get almost another 3/4 turn. Which isn't enough to get the gauge facing all the way front, but is just barely far enough so it doesn't push everything out of alignment with the wall.


Everything is so delicate that knocking one piece of tubing can cause that line to start leaking (as we discovered while tightening the gauge, so we picked up some tubing clips to hold everything in place.



Now it's all nice and tight and leak free, so we're going to give the inspector a call and get this show back on the road!

No comments: