Monday, February 2, 2009

New Kitchen Design

Okay clean sheet kitchen design #1

Here's the overview this view gets distorted a bit so it makes things look closer together than they are. There is actually 3.5' between the peninsula and the cabinets. Picture the table and chairs as a U shaped built-in with a pedestal table. Notice the new french doors and the pantry cab against the wall there. The sink is now between the two windows which are in their original spot but moved up. Notice also the new windows by the table.

Here's a shot of the stove wall. I like how this turned out mostly except the blank wall to the right of the stove bugs me. Not sure what to do there. You can also see the peninsula. I think the peninsula will be super handy for setting food on and it kinda separates the kitchen area from the dinning area. The microwave should probably be in the middle of the cabinet run and maybe the stove should be moved over to the left a bit?

Here's a shot of the fridge wall....this I don't like so much. The fridge is big and sticks way out making getting into the upper corner cabinet impossible... I don't have a good spot for the fridge yet...

Here's a shot of the new french doors and the new pantry cabinet. I think it sticks out kinda far but Irene likes it....







So, that's the first draft what do y'all think? Love to hear your comments and ideas. Not sure why I'm feeling like using green text?

5 comments:

salemkitchen@msn.com said...

Irene - Is that a closet in the next room on the other side of the wall behind the fridge? One suggestion is to simply take some space from the closet and sink the fridge into the wall a little to reduce the protrusion into the kitchen. Also, if you moved the stove over to the left 9-12" it would leave enough wall space on the right for a narrow cabinet or open shelf to fill up that empty space. Hope that helps.

Mom said...

I like the peninsula idea. I also like the way you set things up, although I am having trouble figuring out which wall is where. Also, where do the bi-fold doors lead?

The MadScientist said...

salemkitchen,
Yep I guess we have to reconfig that closet..If we could sink the fridge in to the depth of the upper cabs then it would really be out of the way. Unless there is a totally different place for it?

The MadScientist said...

Mom,
If you look at the overview of the room that should help you figure out which wall goes where.
The bi-fold doors are actually french doors that open to the deck

Joseph said...

You have some very slick ideas for your kitchen. That has been one of the recurring themes in my own life--looking for a way to make our bathrooms and our kitchen look really glorious, even though those rooms are much too small. One of the glories of the Internet, though, is there is absolutely no dearth of ideas. I have been looking for ones that seem to me to make sense and posting my results. Right now I have no idea of what I will ultimately do, but I keep hoping I will come up with something really slick.