Tuesday, August 4, 2009

1221 Sherman St Knifecatching Again

Read This:The following review is just my opinion and only my opinion I am not a professional house appraiser or inspector and I am not a structural engineer. The opinions expressed in this review are based on my own inspection of the property, the publicly available facts from aggregator sites such as Redfin and Zillow and the online permit database for the city of Alameda. I am not responsible for incorrect or missing data that appears in these sources. In fact, its probably best that you just ignore everything you read here as the lunatic ravings of an unbalanced mind.


Okay, today's house review will be a little bit different and I am admitting that from the start-so no hate mail necessary.

We have 1221 Sherman st. A 5 bed 3.5 bath 4095sq ft house on a humongous 11,250 sq ft lot! This house is located on one of the nicest blocks in the gold coast with a purchase price of...wait for it....

$2.5 Million dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost fell outta my seat when I saw that price....

This house has a great front porch. On Halloween the owners fill it with lit pumpkins and it looks awesome.



Huge lot with lots of nice landscaping.





Unfortunately those are the only two pics of the house I will post. The owner has smartly decided to not have any open houses. On a property like this it would be a madhouse of looky-loos.

Since I can not inspect the house myself I can't speak to its condition like I normally do...

But, if you go here check out the redfin page with lots of pics that are supposed to be flattering of the house....I say supposed and that will make sense once you see the pics...

First off, notice that the house was listed on July 6th for $2.49 mill...then on the 16th the price is dropped to $1.569 mill. Dang, that's gotta be the fastest-steepest house price fall I've ever seen!

What's really interesting is the house was most recently sold for $739,00 in '92. WOW, doesn't that seem like a lot of money for '92? I mean what's $739,000 '92 dollars worth today?

If you haven't yet looked at the pictures on redfin please do so now. Okay this link has better pics of what I'm talking about.

Okay, now, since I can't see the inside of the house myself I only have those pics to go on.....

Wow, the grounds look amazing, wow, the house looks amazing on the interior. Most of the woodwork is not painted and dig those interior transoms. This definitely looks like a grand scale house.

But what the heck is up with the kitchen? What's wrong with the floor and why does the kitchen look like its got cheapo laminate cabinets. It looks like the kitchen was redone in the 80's maybe. For a $2.5mill house the kitchen seems woefully under-par....maybe that's why it was discounted to $1.5mill.

And you'd think that if they were serious about selling the place that maybe they'd uh......ahem, de-clutter it a bit? Holy mackerel there is stuff crammed everywhere...that kitchen is a nightmare.

Have at it.

4 comments:

Kitt said...

I did a looky-loo tour of an open house in your 'hood a couple of weekends ago. On Morton, just around the corner from Forbidden Island. Totally rehabbed and staged. Looked nice, but zero yard. $1.2 mil.

I hope you can find something somewhere in between.

The MadScientist said...

Hi Kitt,
I know exactly the house you are talking about! I'm working on a knifecatchers post about that place too! Let's just say I'm not impressed with the price...

L. Opine said...

"What cost $739000 in 1992 would cost $1,120,466.30 in 2008" sez the inflation calculator.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Some news coming from knifecatchers soon, btw.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hijack your excellent blog, but I saw L. Opine's note, and then I Googled Knifecatchers, and it was back up and running! Yay! Glad to see you back!