Saturday, June 19, 2010

Garden Report June 19th

Okay here's a post that should not cause any controversy....unless there's a National Association of Heirloom Tomato Growers' that are going to object to my lack of gardening skill...
All the tomatoes are doing well and getting bigger with lots of flowers on them. The sunsugar even produced a ripe tomato already! I felt that the tomatoes are big enough to take them off of their stands and I even tied a couple of pieces of string to start training them to use the deck rail as a trellis. Its been super-crazy windy here the last couple of days and I was a little bit scared that a couple of the bigger plants would get blown over.

Here's the Green Zebra. This was the smallest most sickliest plant of the bunch when I first bought them. Now look at her! Shes' the biggest and healthiest with a good amount of flowers. Are they called blossoms also?






Here's the Pineapple. Its the 'rangy-ist' with several long uh shoots I guess? This is one of the plants I tied to the fence for support.




Here's a shot of the sunsugar Cherry tomato plant. Its the bushy-ist and has by far the most flowers. I'm hoping to train it to grow all over that little enclosed nook its in.




Just for the heck of it here's a shot of the first ripe tomato of the season. This tomato is an over achiever as there aren't even any other tomatoes on the other plants.




The Basil and Pepper pot. So, I guess I screwed up here and didn't pinch off the basil. Instead of having big bushy plants I got tall scraggly ones with a ton of flowers...





The Basil-Pepper pot after I did my pinching. Hopefully I can turn the basil back into a bushy form with a lot of leaves. But look how great the peppers are doing. They look totally healthy with lots of flowers.

I can not wait to make salsa with these tomatoes and those peppers..yum, yum. And of course there's the basil-tom-fresh mozzarella with balsamic vinegar salad that we love.
Hurry up and get ripe dang it!



Okay now back to our regularly scheduled inflammatory rhetoric...

No comments: