Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Knife Catching 1528 Paru St.

Read This:The following review is just my opinion and only my opinion I am not a professional house appraiser or inspector and I am not a structural engineer. The opinions expressed in this review are based on my own inspection of the property, the publicly available facts from aggregator sites such as Redfin and Zillow and the online permit database for the city of Alameda. I am not responsible for incorrect or missing data that appears in these sources. In fact, its probably best that you just ignore everything you read here as the lunatic ravings of an unbalanced mind.

Knife Catching 1528 Paru St.
This is just going to be a quick drive-by review as my back was fricken killing me and I didn't feel like taking any pictures and the house was just not right for us.

Today's house has the official specs of 4-2.5 that's 2274 sq ft. on a 6150 sq ft lot built in 1912 in the Craftsman style on sale for $849k. This house last sold in '05 for $920k....youch... Here's the Truilia page for it. Here's a weird thing my wife found...an add to rent the place for $3995! How can they be selling it while simultaneously trying to rent it?

I haven't looked at any reports or checked the permit history on this place...though the Realtor showing the place swore all the work was done with permits.

The Truilia page actually says the house is pending! Wow that was fast. I believe that the house was only on the market for like 15 days.

Quick Hits:
Liked the house seemed to be in good shape.

The master bedroom is in a pop-top addition on the back of the house...and its a bit uh, weird. The bathroom is IN the bedroom..and there's no shower?!?!! So one person can be sleeping while the other person is taking a bath in full view? The toilet is behind a door but its still in the room.....The closet is SUPER small...like not big enough to fit even my wifes stuff...its like it was designed for ONE person only and for ever....who didn't own a lot of stuff...

The garage is scary, looks like its going to fall down....why do they advertise that the house has a garage when there is no way in heck it can be used as such?

The front porch looks like it was bumped out into the driveway in such a way that I don't even think that you could get a car back there even if the garage wouldn't fall down after you slam the car door....

Conclusion:
Not enough storage/workshop space for us, and no garage...but the backyard was nice and the master bedroom was just weird.
So, not for us but apparently it was for someone...I was honestly thinking that $849k was way too much for this house, but it doesn't appear to need the kind of work most of the houses I review do so maybe that's what an actually good condition 2274sq ft house in a good neighborhood in a good school district goes for in Alameda...course we don't know what the offer was...yet.

No comments: