Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Bath Project Problems....part 2 Vanity

Bonfire of the Vanities

Looking at how exactly I am going to install the bath vanity and have run into a couple of problems.

Here's the fabulous vanity we got from the Home Decorators Collection.



Notice the fancy sides and top edges. This thing can not be placed flush against a wall on its short sides.



And here is problem numero uno.. This is the stub-out for the sink drain...its only 4.5" from the wall....not sure how I managed to F this one up so much....because of the position of the stub-out the drain lines for the vanity can not come in through the openings in the back of the vanity. The only thing I can think off here is to cut a hole in the lower corner and bring the drain line in that way. I'll probably also have to shorten the drawers on that side as they look to slide all the way back to damn near the back of the cabinet.



Here's a shot of the back of the vanity showing the access holes for the drain and water supply lines.
Which brings me to issue #2. How to get the water supply lines in. If I have the vanity as shown in the previous post they would have to come in from the side which will be visible from the front.
One thought is, is that if I raise the vanity up enough I might be able to bring the lines down the wall and have them enter the cutout just above the sole plate of the wall. For this to work I need to raise the vanity up ~4".... I'm not sure what's the best way to do this.




Here's a shot of the legs that came with the vanity. They measure ~7.5". Could it be just as easy as buying some legs that are 4" taller? With the stock legs the vanity top is at 36" which I feel is a bit low for me and for elderly folks. I think 40" feels a lot better and with the taller legs it'll be easier to clean under it?
















Vanity Questions:
1. What to do about getting the drain line into the cabinet when the stub out is unfortunately placed.
2. What's the best way to raise the vanity cabinet up ~4" so I can get the water lines into it easier?

Any useful advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Why don't you build a little wall unit out from the wall? The upper part of the wall unit could take the place of the wall mirror you currently show. The bottom part of the unit will go behind the vanity and provide the space you need to run the water and drain lines.

The MadScientist said...

That's an idea I'll have to have a look at the clearances between the corner of the vanity and the corner of the shower.