Sunday, March 20, 2011

First Open House Went Awesome!!!!!

Yahoo!!!!!!! Our First Open House Was A Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like lots of exclamation points are justified for this post!!!!!

Just got off the phone with my Realtor who was whupped by all the people who showed up to the first open house!!! He was literally flabbergasted by the amount of people who came by. The open was supposed to run from 2-4 but he ended up staying until almost 5pm because there was so much interest!

Man, that makes up feel encouraged!!! Course, we are no where near selling the place but at least there was a good turn out.

We were freaking cause the weather was set to be horrible and well, there was really no advertising done for the open except what we wrote here on the blog and one Craig's List ad, something that will hopefully be addressed by the next open.

The Run Down
We were told that there was at least 35 different groups of people with one group of ten!!!
Several people came through with either their architect or contractor!
One group stayed for 1.5 hrs going over everything!
Several couples stayed for almost an hour looking over everything.
Realtor feels that there where at least 3-4 groups of people who where 'seriously' interested in the place. He actually felt that the ratio of looky-loos to serious people was pretty low.


Not too surprisingly the question most asked was 'what the heck is a 203k loan anyways and how does it work?'. It seems like we are having trouble getting across some of the basic facts of the 203k......most importantly, you as the new homeowner don't do any of the work!!! You roll the cost of the fix-up into the purchase price of the house. Luckily we had the local 203k mortgage expert there to answer questions.

Probably the second most asked question was, what's it going to cost to fix the place up?
Luckily for us one of the contractors that we are paying to write up a bid to finish the house got their bid done in time for the first open....the magic number???? $138k That's to completely finish all three floors (with new roof) in a VERY basic way that will get the house approved by the FHA. Of course you can go a lot fancier all the way up to the $770k FHA loan limit if you wanted to!

Third Most Asked Question, 'What the heck is going on in the basement with all those tubes???'
Luckily for us we had the bright idea to actually have the heat on during the open so all our Realtor had to do was say, 'Its radiant heating, feel the floor' and lots of people did.

I don't think anyone offered to buy the fish with the house though....bummer.

Yes, we know the house is no where near being sold and we are certainly not counting any chickens before they are hatched. We are just encouraged that, that many serious people showed up for the first not-really-advertised open.

8 comments:

Mom said...

Glad you had a good first open house. I'm curious why your realtor didn't advertise it. Good luck in selling it quickly.

Edwin said...

...

Anonymous said...

How many cats do you have??? I honestly couldn't get over the cat urine smell (or whatever it was) throughout the house. I know the house needed a lot of work, but we were quite frankly shocked once we saw the condition with our own eyes. Love the blog and we wish you well with the sale. Basement was nice.

The MadScientist said...

Anon,
Why bother taking the time to be such a douche bag?

If you have actually been reading this blog, or if you looked at the pics and the description on the flyer there is no way the condition of the house should be a surprise to anyone.

Yes, yes, we have 20,000 cats and the entire house is SOAKED with their urine!!! We thought that it would be a selling point... NO?

Anonymous said...

Are you suggesting there was no cat urine smell throughout the house? Tell me what was causing that smell and I'll refer to it correctly. I don't remember you mentioning it anywhere in your blog (and I HAVE read every page). Sorry if I missed that somewhere, but it's one of those things that smacks you right in the face when you walk in the door. I must have had the Smell-O-Vision turned off on my computer when I was looking at all the photos.

$485k? Are you kidding me? I can't help but think your chickens (or cats perhaps???) have come home to roost. Good luck with that.

The MadScientist said...

First off I seriously doubt that anyone will be fooled by this angry blather but I want to assure everyone that there is no 'oppressive wall of stench' of any kind in the house.

Anon,
It obvious that you are either a Realtor or a home owner who feels that a honest review of your house was somehow damaging.

Now, in a pathetic attempt to, 'screw others how they screwed you' you are attempting to spread lies about my house. I'm going to take that as a complement. That my review of your house was so spot on that it has revealed your true nature.

Still, don't have the balls to sign your posts with an actual identifier...love that about you.

Anonymous said...

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you, this is only going to matter to someone who reads these comments and then goes to the house to smell for themselves. Then we'll see who's being honest and who's not.

"20,000 cats", "wall of stench". Those are your words, not mine. Nice try at over exaggerating my words without answering my original question. Even if it was 10 cats it still smells.

I do not own a house you have reviewed. I am not a realtor. You have not screwed me over in any way. I have done nothing but appreciated your in depth reviews of houses for sale in Alameda.

You're right, I am Anon. And my balls are Anonymous too. You on the other hand have a house you need to sell and get another fixed up in a short time frame. Once again, good luck with all that.

The MadScientist said...

Please, Really?

You have no connection to any house I've reviewed?

You just randomly found this site and then went to an open house and decided it would be a good thing to go out of your way to write nasty comments about Chez 2.0?

Wow, if that's true you really are a sad person.