Thursday, August 25, 2011

We Got Our Permits!!!

Well, we got half of them anyways! Hurray!!!
The super nice folks at the Alameda Building Dept (obvious ass kissing) called me recently to tell me that my permits were ready and that I could come pick them up!
Hurray!! Now we can get started on converting the illegal work in the basement into a single 3-2 apartment and converting the two studio apartments into a single one bedroom two bath apartment. All legal and above board!

We also got the plan check comments for the code enforcement work, back from the city!

These are the permits to legalize the back deck, stairway, and 2nd story landing, and to legalize the kitchen remodel all work illegally done by the PO.

I've read through the comments and there do not seem to be any real 'we're going to get screwed' comments. Most of them are about the deck and are questions the engineer will have to answer.

One question I don't know how to answer is this.

The engineer says that there needs to be a outlet for this length of counter top at the breakfast bar.

I mean, I can draw an outlet on the plans no problem but how to actually get an outlet into that counter area. All the options seem bad to me.

Besides the joy of cutting through the granite for the box I'm pretty sure that, that back splash is solid wood behind the granite...I don't know about cutting out the granite and then cutting into the wood framing for clearance for the outlet box? I'd probably have to open up the wall on the other side of the backsplash to check and see what the situation is. If I'm wrong about it being solid wood then putting an outlet in the backsplash will probably make the most sense.

I guess I could do a flush with the counter top outlet? But having a horizontal outlet there seems like a really, really bad idea.

Could I put an outlet on top of the breakfast bar in some kind of enclosure? Man, would that look ugly...

How can I get an outlet to service this counter?

Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Jim said...

It would help to see the other side of the counter from the other room. Are there corbels?

Most likely the granite is affixed to plywood using epoxy. You might be able to see that by looking up from one of the cabinets. If so, you'll just have to cut through granite and the plywood. I don't know if you meant plywood or something like a 2x12 when you said "solid wood". Compared to the granite, getting through the plywood is simple.

How are you going to fish the cable? Break open the back of one of the cabinets and come up from below?

Congrats on your permits, BTW. I'm about to pull our first set for our current remodel.

The MadScientist said...

No corbels the granite and plywood just cantelever out.

I believe that the granite is epoxied to the plywood.

I believe the back splash is just stacked 2by lumber..so cutting through that for a box would suck.

Good luck with your own permits.

Joel said...

Could you build a box on top of the counter? From the bar side you would see the outlet. From the other room you could finish the backside in some artsy way.

Kate H. said...

If the upper bullnose protrudes sufficiently, install Plugmold under it and faux finish to match the granite.

(Yeah, I know it's a whacked, unaesthetic idea. But it'd get the power in there.)

Kate H. said...

If the upper bullnose protrudes sufficiently, install Plugmold under it and faux finish to match the granite.

(Yeah, I know it's a whacked, unaesthetic idea. But it'd get the power in there.)