Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Chez 2.0 Is For Sale!!!

That's right folks, Chez 2.0 is for sale!!!
Many, many folks have been emailing me saying...did you see that your old house is for sale??
I honestly have not been back to look at the place at all since we sold it.
But today I went by to take a look and of course take a few pics.

This pic might say it all...

My First Impression
I like the new paint job, it looks right for the house. The new roof looks good.
Like the light hanging in the porch area, though it looks a little low to me.
They planted sod just in the front area.. just exactly as much as would be needed to take this pic...
Looking through the window in the bump-out I can see that they opened up a doorway between the kitchen and what was our TV room.
It looks like they already have staging furniture in the lower unit.
It also looks like they just put a clear coat on the concrete floor down there...which is weird, as that floor had a ton of cracks in it?

Here's another shot from a different angle.

They didn't kill the black bamboo on the right, that's nice.
The pomegranate on the front left corner is actually looking pretty good.
What I REALLY did not like seeing is they had several of the solid wood original doors laying around like they were destined for the junk pile...so, super lame if they are going to junk them in favor of some plastic, hollow-core pre-hung POS.

I didn't walk onto the property to take a look at anything else.
The neighbor on one side says they rebuilt the deck twice as deep as the existing deck and removed one of the doors to the outside in the back of the house.

Holy Crap!!
I just checked the redfin page and they have pics!!! I have to admit after looking at the pics that the place looks pretty darn good...
I can't believe that they were able to bring the floors back!?!?! Man, they were totally trashed I thought...wow those floors look pretty great.
Kitchen looks a little...uh, sparse let's say....
No pics of the master bath...
The bottom floor looks good with the stained concrete.

1310 Pacific Ave Alameda CA is no longer a MadMadScientist production.
People need to remember this when looking at the house. There is much, much more of the new owners in the house than us.

By my count the new owners had to.
  1. Do a complete roof tear off and rebuild much of the roof framing before sheathing and reroofing.
  2. Do a complete water supply re-piping.
  3. Bring heat to the top floor somehow...I'm dying to know if they actually extended the warm water radiant heat to the top floor....
  4. Gut and rebuild the main kitchen plus two other 'sorta kitchens'.
  5. Build three new full baths.
  6. Run the branch circuits on the top and bottom floors.
  7. Rebuild the rear deck.
  8. Insulate, weatherize drywall, paint, trim, all the finishes.
That's a lot of work not done by us.

Wow, it only took them 4 months!!
I'm pretty shocked at this...from the admittedly rough shape the house was in to this in four months...wow...I'm honestly wondering how you do that aggressive schedule and do decent quality work??? At least if someone would have bought it with the 203k program, it looks like it probably would've been possible to get it done in six months.

Tri-plex, Duplex, what-plex?
The house is being advertised as a single family residence, that's also a triplex??? I know why they are doing this..because its easier to sell and appraise a SFR than it is a tri-plex.  Problem is, is that it IS legally a tri-plex. Won't the appraiser and bank kinda insist on it being treated as such? Especially nowadays with super-strict loan rules?

The Price
Well, they have it listed at $725k....I don't honestly know how realistic that is...I know that the house is legally a 2702 sq ft 4-3 (because I did the work to make it so) so it's actually a pretty big place by Alameda standards, and is probably legally the biggest house in that neighborhood....I just don't know...seems a bit aggressive to me...

Potential Buyers of Chez 2.0
You can email me any questions about the house at the link on my profile page.

I hope they do an open house this weekend so we can walk through it and I will do an official review of the place....

What's Funny
If you type in the address of Chez 2.0 1310 Pacific Ave the second hit in Google is my joke review of the house...wonder how long it will be till the present owners try to force me to take it down???

The Upside?
Mrs. MadMadScientist had a good point. Now that its 'all done' all the people who thought that we were bug-nuts crazy for buying the place can finally see what we saw in it. To that also I'd like to ad that all the folks who walked through the place when we were trying to sell it and could only see what was wrong with it....now they can finally see it....cept its now going to cost them $225k more!

Would love to hear folks thoughts on Chez 2.0 in the comments.

Update
Just read the super awesome-amazing local paper....the house is open this weekend.
Weird hours though. Sat 12-2 and Sun 3-5.
C'mon everybody lets go!!!
Would love to hear peoples thoughts after they tour the house.

2 comments:

Leslie Harvey said...

I'm dying to go see this. A lot of the work looks pretty darn good from the photos, but the kitchen is just an epic fail. I have to think that they just did the bare minimum there with the intention of letting the new owner do a custom job later?

The MadScientist said...

Ya it looks like the kitchen is basically a place holder.....but in a $725k house???

Man, I'm hoping its open this weekend...we should all go! Just swarm the place!