Friday, November 11, 2011

Final Permit Approved!!! Hurray!!!!..Oh, Wait...I'm totally boned...

Got the FINAL code enforcement permit approved recently....

Like how it is stamped in red across the top... 'Enforcement Action'
If you open the pic you can actually read all the fee's! There's the fee for this, and the fee for that and a fee for the other...not fines..definitely not fines...just fees.....
This is the permit to legalize the deck and the kitchen remodel in the main unit.

Here's the 'I'm totally boned' part...
They were going to give me only 3 months to do it!?!?!??! That means, that yes, during the worst weather possible I would have to be working OUTSIDE getting the deck fixed...I literally had to beg to get it extended for six months...

For Those Keeping Track
I have six months left on the demo permit for the two illegal bottom units...I also have a permit to legalize the two as a single 3-2...that permit is good for 3yrs....buuuuut..I basically have to get all the work done within the six months I have left on the demo permit....or risk further code enforcement action.

So, that's two separate permits that both are going to expire in 6 months...that if I don't get signed off the city could re-open the code enforcement case against us and re-levy all those fees (not fines) against us!!! Hurray!!!!

Annd we can't afford to have pros in to help so that means me and whatever unskilled labor we can get.....hurray!!!!!
Its a gonna be a busy six months around here...hope my back and health holds out....

4 comments:

Jim said...

It frankly used to piss me off how much El Cerrito would charge and nickel and dime me when I was one of the honest homeowners that pulled permits for everything as opposed to houses on my street with illegal shacks in the back yard housing a few families. Sounds like Alameda (like EC) isn't terribly interested in working with those who are trying to improve the health and safety of the housing stock.

Gene said...

I'd be happy to help with some building tasks. I helped Noel and Ayse with some demolition, but I can put stuff together, too :-) The Habitat for Humanity project in East Oakland I've been working on will be finishing up in the next couple of weeks, and I'll have even more time after the end of the year.

The MadScientist said...

Jim,
Well I wouldn't say Alameda doesn't want to work with me....its actually a law that code enforcement cases only have a year to get fixed.

The MadScientist said...

Gene that's very nice of you to offer.
Near term its going to be a lot of demo and unbuilding and cleaning.