Thursday, November 10, 2011

Leaky Garage Roof...Patched?

Okay, I got up on the roof yesterday morning and did my super awesome high end roof patch job....
After talking over options with several pros I came up with this half-assed repair idea. I would use this fancy roofing repair caulk to fill the holes where the shingles had cracked apart and use a piece of flashing metal to make a temporary metal cap shingle.


First off, gotta get up on the roof safely.
I love this ladder...I think some pros might think a ladder like this is 'gimmicky' but it's been super useful for us. We've used it as a straight ladder, a platform when we were grinding all those flooring nails down at Chez 2.0. Here it's being used as a nice roofing ladder (won't F up the gutter).
The Supplies
Yep, can't ya just tell that its going to be a 'high-quality' job? Before I went on the roof I used the clear packing tape on the underside to seal the holes that went all the way through.
Close-up of the fancy roofing Goop I used.
And then I just filled all the cracks with the goop....it cleans up and tools with mineral spirits...I probably should have brought some up on the roof with me to tool the caulk but I didn't...I THINK I forced the caulk down and got it where it needed to go...we'll see....we got a one day reprieve from the rain so I'll have to wait until tomorrow...
Exciting Montage of Cracked Roofing Shingles Filled With Goop.


Now for the super ghetto-fab metal cap shingle.
I ran a BIG bead of caulk around the area before laying the 'shingle' on it. Then I tried to nail through the caulk bead. Just in case I spooged a bit of caulk on to cover the nail heads.
Looks pretty sweet doesn't it?
Of course when I was all done and out of fancy goop I noticed this...
The cap shingles under where I had put my stuff are looking like they are about to go...dang...

Let's hope that it rains tomorrow and I get no leaks....
This roof is totally trashed and really, really needs to be replaced...let's just hope that we can band-aid it along for at least this rainy season....

No comments: