Friday, March 23, 2012

A Little Bit Of Fixed Framing

Earlier I posted this pic about some bent wall studs.

After much discussion with my SE it was decided that it would be a good idea to rebuild the wall 'correctly'.
This is at the dividing line between the old and new parts of the house...well, sorta... I didn't realize that the original house had a little bump-out in the back here...possibly for a covered back porch or stair well (more on this later....)

First I had to adjust the main soil stack for the two studio apartments.
You can see in this pic that its run goofily into the wall plane?

This is another instance where I want to slap the PO...there's going to be lots more to come don't worry.
The entire reason for this wonky plumbing is that they cut the vertical pipe that comes down from the ceiling about 6" to short...so instead of just adding some length they used a wacky combination of angles to 'make it work'.

The fix.
 Actually all I did was remove one 45 deg piece and use two longer couplings.
Its not perfect there will be some 'lippage' that might collect some 'solids' but I think the nice continuous slope will probably work in my favor.

Now on to actually fixing the wall.

A very important beam intersects this wall and it wasn't really being supported at its end by anything more than a single overloaded 2by4...

So, out comes the 3 ton car jack and I give the beam a little lift.

Then where there was really no serious support for this beam I installed a 4by6 post.

Then with the addition of some #1 s-dry studs from Economy Lumber the wall was done!
All the studs are vertical and not bowed!
Its a weird set-up on this wall. This wall is load bearing to the left of the post but not the right.
Here's a closeup of the opening where I hope the HVAC plenums will fit through.

While I was 'at it' I finished installing the foundation bolts along this oh so important wall for shear strength.

I had to use the slotted washers on the existing bolts as they were very off center. I love that the slotted washers cost more than the standard and you have to use an additional washer on each one.

Header Screw up.
The triple 2by8 header I built has developed a crack...

Here's a closer-up shot.

I showed this to my BI and he said basically, not to worry!!!
I used seriously wet wood to build this and its shrunk as its dried out in the basement.
I don't get my local 'real' lumber yard. They keep all their standard framing lumber outside year round...so in the wet season you get wood that's crazy wet. I remember carrying the wood from the car to the basement and thinking...dang this 8' 2by8 weighs soooo much...

I'm going to have to put shims in all around on this..I've already done the jack studs....live and learn I guess. Buy the #1 S-dry from Economy if you are worried about what using seriously wet wood will do to your project.

This whole thing started out with my just wanting to put the foundation bolts in the right place!

That's it for now.

Next up, 'Oy Vey!! More screwy framing to deal with.'

1 comment:

maxpeterson40@yahoo.com said...

What is the nail spacing on the built up beam that cracked? Looks somewhat inconsistent. Also what length and diameter are the nails?

I am just wondering if you followed the ESR-1539 recommendation for nailing when creating the built up beam.

Page 24 from the following guide:

http://www.isanta.org/ESR-1539_corrected_Oct_09.pdf

It looks to me that you shouldn't have a middle row of nails and that the recommended way to create this built up beam is to have diagonal lines of nails except at the end.