Monday, May 21, 2012

Kitchen Cabinet Problem Solved!!!

Hurray, after hours and hours of pouring over the specs as to which cabinet company to go with we've come up with a solution!!!

Hurray!!!

We can't use any of em.....

Hurray!!!

Got a letter from my insurance broker that I thought was odd..then I called her up and wow...it is what I thought it was...

Our Insurance Company Is Forcing Us To Paint Our House!!
Ya, you read that right....

They've already forced us to get a monitored alarm system.
They've already told us what type of dogs we can and can't own...

Now I'm told that our insurance policy will be dropped if we don't paint the house.
We know the place needs painting, its needed painting since before we bought it.
We've always planned on painting it...just not before the code enforcement work was signed off...

Now I'm racing around trying to find a painting contractor who will actually do a good job.
It's not looking good for our budget...WAG's I'm getting are in the $30k range....stupid big house...

So, all the money that was going to go into the new kitchen is now set aside for the paint the friggen house fund.

Arrrrrrrrrgh!!!
And of course our house is not covered for earthquake insurance even...cheap lousy insurance companies...

I guess that there are two things I can do...
Find a shoddy but quick and cheap guy to do a half ass job to make the insurance company happy...OR
Pay the big bucks to get it done right.....dang....
Thank god it looks like we can get another year out of the roof as that's going to be a $30k job also....

The Kitchen Solution
We are just going to buy a couple of cheap skinnier cabinets so we can fit the big 36" stove and install the new hood. That way we can have a workable kitchen and get the kitchen code enforcement permit signed off (hopefully). We're going to put shelves in the pantry to stack as much stuff in there as possible.

Hur-friggen-ray...

7 comments:

Leslie Harvey said...

Seriously? What is the reason they are making you paint the house?

Time to find a new insurance company? Even if another company is more expensive, wouldn't that be way cheaper than this alternative?

The MadScientist said...

This is already our second company cause nationwide dropped us over the state of the house!
I think that any insurance company will have similar issues.
They want to protect their investment.

Jim Browne said...

I don't see how painting takes priority over fixing code issues or the roof.

Anonymous said...

Possibly lead based paint and tenants as its an older tri plex? welcome to multi family ownership, I got a similar letter for cracks in the driveway.

Paradox said...

Well, damn...
Sorry to hear it, was looking forward to the new cabinets almost as much as you were! I'm renting again so have to get my home improvement fix vicariously for now.

To Mr. Browne, some places paint in need of upkeep is a civil code violation, but I agree with you. Too bad insurance is like real estate.. closed network with no real alternative...

The MadScientist said...

Hi Jim,
I think that painting is taking priority because that's the biggest issue that the insurance company is aware of....ahem...

The MadScientist said...

Anon,
I'm not sure why the higher level of scrutiny for this triplex versus our first one....
I think its because this house falls into what the insurance company calls 'high value house' bracket. Apparently they actually only do their jobs when a house falls into this category....