Friday, July 6, 2012

Deck Rebuilding Part 3..what comes next?"

After a week of working (well, not really a week more like 3 half days) I've got all the joist hangers replaced that I can until I figure some more things out.

This post should of been titled...
How Am I Going To Double These Freaking Things?

Take a look at the diagram below. Notice where it says that I need to double the existing 2by12's.
There are two spots that my SE says were under built and that I need to add more framing. The long diagonal edge of the deck and half of one of the single 2by 'beams'. This deck already exists and I need to double the 2by12's.... I admit, I'm at a loss as how to sensibly go about doing this? There are tons of joists hanging off of them (with the still incorrect hangers).
Do I remove all the hangers cut the joists back by 1.5" and then push up the new 2by12 and then attach the new hangers? I'd have to build a temporary wall to support all of those joists I'd think?
Ugh...

Long Diagonal
Here's a shot of the long diagonal rim board that needs to be doubled.
Initially this seems to be the easier task.
I've bought through bolts long enough to accommodate the added wood.
Could it be as easy as lifting the new wood into place nailing it off and then using the existing holes as guides in the posts drill the new wood for the longer bolts and then bolt the whole thing together?

More Shots Of The Long Rim Board
From the other side this time.

If I replaced it from the inside I'd have to cut back all of these joists and rehang them with my new hangers...that seems kinda nuts to me if there's an easier way.

Short Beam

Closer up shot of left arrow.


Closer up shot of right arrow.
Its hard to see but the post supporting this 'beam' is notched to hold the beam.
Short beam from the other side.
Doubling this short beam seems mighty darn impossible to me.
Same amount of joist hangers on either side so that doesn't help me decide.
I'm thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to put the new wood on the long side of the
supporting post. I could cut it back and then the new 'beam' could sit on top of the post.

So I think that to do this safely I'd have to build a temp wall to support all the joists.
Then remove all the hangers.
Then cut back the ends of the joists by 1.5" (How do I do this with the joists in place?)
Then slide up the new 2by12 and nail-glue-screw it off.
Then attach old joists to new beam with new hangers.

Does that sound like the way to go?
Can anybody think of a better way to do this?

Ugh, did I mention how much my back hurts?

2 comments:

Ayse said...

Yeah, the way you add the sistered beam is to get in there, support the joists (usually done with shoring or a temporary wall), then trim back the joists (I've seen this done with a sawzall; the end does not have to be pretty).

Anonymous said...

why cant you put on two new beams, each sort of half-sistered to the existing beam but lying below the joists? You could put a narrower piece beneath the existing beam to complete the sistering. If you could attach them to the posts at either end you'd have a tripled beam, you wouldnt need to replace the joist hangers, and all you would lose would be 6 inches of height under the deck or so. As long as that height is not important it seems like a lot less work. ask your SE for options.