Sunday, September 30, 2012

How Am I Going To Do This?

One of the next big things I have to do with the kitchen redo is run the code correct venting for our fabulous new hood.

I've run into a bit of a hitch (when don't I).
I have to install the exterior vent motor to the outside of the house.

My plan is to take out the 'window to no where' and install the exterior vent motor in its place....
Problem is, its 13' up off the ground...
Well, that's not really the problem, the problem is, is that I only have 46.5" of clearance between the fence and the house at this point.

I borrowed my neighbors rickety old extension ladder and put my ladder stabilizer on it.
That ladder is really not at a great angle..
Plus its kinda anti-confidence inspiring...

I can get my fat arse up there and I will probably be able to work from the ladder to remove the window. I just need to remove the parting bead and four nails it looks like...

But humping the big heavy ventilator up there and installing it...I don't think so...

The super cool kids at Casa Decrepit offered to let me borrow their scaffolding!!! Hurray!!!
Except that, their scaffold is 62" wides...not gonna fit.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can work up there safely???

3 comments:

Ayse said...

We also have Baker scaffolding, two levels of it.

Dust to Dreams said...

I am a professional residential builder/remodeler......and I am impressed by your willingness to tackle tasks that are outside your comfort zone. Remember always... "A man's reach should exceed his grasp".

With that being said, your ladder issue isn't as dire as it seems. With 46.5" of width you can comfortably place the ladder 15.5 feet up against the side of the building. If possible, remove the ladder stabilizer altogether, as it's only making the angle steeper. I am assuming you don't have any ladder jacks or another extension ladder, else it would be best to place both ladders against the building and hang the ladder jacks on the inside with a walk plank spanning them. Good luck....and don't die!

The MadScientist said...

Thanks for that, dust to dreams,
I borrowed two levels of baker scaffolding and have it set up and firmly attached to the house in four places. Its not coming down..
Unfortunately, there are no safety rails so if I take a bad step its gonna hurt.