Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Yes I Have Completely Lost My Mind

Well, its finally happened...I've lost my mind. I've become one of those nutty old house owners who fill their vehicles with random, crazy old stuff....

I'm going to make a pipe organ!!!

We went to visit some family near Grass Valley and a neighbor was semi getting out of the 'pipe organ habit'.

Look at how packed lil' red was by the time we were done....






Good Lord, what did I get myself into.....
Lets take a look, shall we?

First off, A bass drum that plays itself!

Then, of course, a bell that rings itself.
A snare drum that plays itself.

Even the springs can be controlled to give a snare or tom sound I guess. Love the light bulb! Won't you have to take the entire thing apart to change it?

A cymbal that plays itself.

Its an entire (small) rhythm section!

A set of swell shutters with their mechanism.
Don't know what the heck I'm going to do with these but they are clear sugar pine (so I was told) and the wood is beautiful.

And this thing!

I have no idea what it is or what it does....

An organ keyboard.
What cool about this one is that each key can switch 4 different things.

Random electrical doo-dads to help in wiring my organ.


A piano midi converter.
This is very intriguing. It has 88 buttons meant to go under the piano keys. Then its got a midi box with midi in, out, and thru. With this ANYTHING could be turned into a midi musical instrument. Only problem is, I don't know anything about it..anyone have any ideas?

A solid state reverb board.
Cause pipe organs need reverb??

Not one, but two organ benches.



A train whistle.
I think that this is part of the percussion set. It looks like the bottom was glued into a bigger pipe.
Probably something in this box of random percussion parts.

Felt for sealing the pipes.

An oak wine barrel??
I'm totally going to age some cheap tequila in there.

An awesome framed poster!
Wurlitzers For Ever!!!

He INSISTED that I take a tape player and a box of cassette tapes of famous organs....

Wind Chests...lots and lots of wind chests.
Some electric some not.





This last one is the 'big mama'. Its a 4 rank wind chest that he was custom building.
One of the ranks is done and it has its own separate tremulant box.
The other three still need to be electrified...but hey, its made out of mahogany.
This thing is huge and heavy..and I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with it...

Finally The Pipes!
These are called flute pipes and sound like woodwinds.
The biggest bass pipes.
Some of the pipes are open.

Some are stopped.

A stopped pipe.
I just think they look nice, like art.

Look! It all fits in the 'Pipe Organ Room'.

Finally Some Old House Stuff!
Check out these cool tiles he threw in.

Don't know anything about them but I bet they'd look pretty great in a Victorian bathroom. Does anyone have a clue about these?

Up Next: Just what in the heck am I planning on doing with all this stuff anyways???
Here's a hint, think Halloween.....

Okay just so people don't think I'm totally crazy...I got all this stuff for well under $300...

7 comments:

Jim said...

Transformation into Noel 82% complete...

The MadScientist said...

I know, I know,
They have their accordian room and we have are pipe organ room....
What's sad for me is, I couldn't even get him interested in any of the stuff!......I have sunk that low....

Leslie Harvey said...

I definitely agree that you have gone a little nuts... what does Mrs. Mad Scientist think?

valerie said...

Relevant to your interests: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/zip/3541306164.html

I enjoy your blog!

The MadScientist said...

Well Mrs. Harvey...
Mrs MadMadScientist really loves pipe organ music....but she doesn't want it taking over the entire house.....

The MadScientist said...

Hi Valerie,
Are you a pipe organ fan?
I actually already saw the ad and I'm trying to go see it Friday...
Don't know where in the heck we could put all that but some of it looks very, very nice.

valerie said...

No, I'm a fan of house renovations! Especially your beehive story. I just happened to see the ad an hour after I read your post.