Thursday, January 24, 2013

Yet More Organ Madness

But not pipe organ madness.
We recently purchased whats called a Victorian Parlour Organ and it is fricken gorgeous!
It looks like a set piece from the Haunted Mansion or something and it looks amazing in our parlour...
Well, its not in the parlour its in the room we've been calling a library but I suppose now we should
call it our music room?

Okay enough words check out its gorgeousosity.

Organ in Position

Keyboard Cover

Awesome flame sides


Detail Close Ups


The Cute Little Organ Stool
Those are metal legs!

The Pedals

Pedals And Bellows Cover

When you push down both pedals you can see the bellows and the pedal straps.
The organ was supposedly mechanically restored about 20yrs ago. Those straps and bellows sure look newer than 100+ yrs old which we believe was how long ago it was manufactured (roughly).

Now, Lets Take It Apart!
Gotta see how it works right?
Luckily these things were meant to break down into several pieces.

Top Off
I also removed the front cover.

Which I discovered has a pretty good crack...


Naked

Stops Knobs

Stop Knob Mechanism


Lots of complicated levers and stuff! Love it!
The above pic shows that one of the stop knobs has become disconnected..?

The red thing is the Vox Humana Paddle.
When activated it spins on its long axis and gives the sound a warbling quality. Its supposed to sound like a human singing with vibrato.

There are two knee levers on the front of the piano.
The right one works a reed organs version of a swell shutter.

Closed

Open

I have no friggen idea what the left knee paddle does...
Its connected to a complicated mechanism that appears to do several things at once?

Yes I got it all back together!
So, I don't know when and if the organ was rebuilt.
The uh, action, sorta feels like it needs some lube but the felt and things looks newer than 100yrs.
All the stops appear to work and all the keys appear to work.
Though, I'm a little confused as to how exactly and what exactly some of them do...
The echo stop?
I can't exactly tell what the bass coupler is supposed to be doing either....

The Crazy Plan
I want to automate this reed organ to turn it into a haunted player organ!
My dream/goal is to have the thing play itself.
The pedals will pump, the stops will move in and out and the keys will move....
It looks like there is a lot of extra space from what I've seen so far.

2 comments:

Marley Barley said...

Love, love, love your sense of adventure and craziness. Always interested to read what you are up to next.

Sincerely from,
your Alameda island neighbor who owns an 1895 Victorian home and an 1879 Victorian grand square piano - for our parlour - naturally :)

organfile said...

WOW! THAT'S THE GREATEST PUMP ORGAN THAT I'VE EVER SEEN. ELECTRIFY AND MIDI IT. I'VE GOT A BOOK ON REED ORGANS AND I'LL SEND IT YOUR WAY AS SOON AS I CAN FIND IT! YOU CAN FIND A BLOWER FOR IT ON THE NET.