Sunday, July 14, 2013

Spider Project Update

Its been a while I know......

Check out this pic below.
Can anyone tell me what's wrong?
The legs go waaaaaay below the body of the spider....
This can not work as the spiders body will sit ~6" off the ground when in the rest position.
With this set-up every time the spider came back down to rest these legs would get slammed by the ground. Not a recipe for longevity....

So, back to the drawing board with the legs...again....

With the addition of a 45 deg elbow now the legs do not drop below the level of the spider.
I think that the legs look more 'spidery' also.

The Jaws of Doom

These things clack together VERY loudly and its very startling.

From Above
That is just a suggested outline of the body of the spider.

Unfortunately I have made the spider too big at this prototyping phase.
The entire thing, including legs needs to fit in a 3' square area...

The Client has approved the design and now its time to move onto fabbing the real deal.
I spent half a day McMasterbating and I think I've got all the required widgets ordered.

Hopefully this entire project will be wrapped up by the middle of August.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just need a really big 3D printer! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HfiHOpv6HtI

Phil Rabe said...

Dude That's gonna be awesome! I've got some of those ribbon LED's if you need eye lights or something.

The MadScientist said...

Phil, I could totally use those ribbon LEDS if ya got em